Our Banking & Finance practice area is well-known for its years of experience in advising clients in banking & finance law in contentious and non-contentious matters. The practice area is actively advises on asset finance, structuring and drafting lending and security documentation for corporate and retail lending including cross border and syndicated loans, structured finance and trade finance for local and regional banks, regulators and international financial institutions.
Recently, we have been involved in:
- Advised a leading private bank in Kenya in the purchase of shares worth USD 92, 000 from a target company that provides insurance financing products.
- Advising a lender on a suitable structure for the upstamping of the existing securities as well as advising the lender on the additional security documentation to secure the lender’s interest.
- Acting in the preparation and perfection of security documentation (debenture, charges, corporate guarantees and the relevant board resolutions) for a Kenyan commercial bank in respect to their lending to a horticultural firm to facilitate acquisition of a horticultural farm worth USD 4 million.
- Representing the Kenyan and Nigerian subsidiaries of a Pan Africa bank in a claim worth USD 52 million arising from a facility of USD 300 million advanced to a Lebanese engineering firm to fund the construction of the Nairobi-Mombasa oil pipeline.
- Successfully represented a Pan-African bank in a claim of USD 25 million brought by a Zambian borrower who claims he never authorised the bank to disburse funds to the borrower.
For more information about our Banking & Finance practice, please contact George Oraro SC (Senior Partner) or Pamella Ager (Partner). Alternatively click here to download our Banking & Finance profile.