Our Banking & Finance practise area is well regarded for its expertise in advising in both contentious and non-contentious matters. The practice area has vast experience advising on asset finance, structuring and drafting lending and security documentation for corporate and retail lending including cross border and syndicated loans, structured finance, SME financing and trade finance. With a good reputation in handling complex banking disputes, debt recovery and asset tracing, the practice area has also represented clients at the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court. The team has advised and represented local and regional banks, international financial institutions and regulators. In addition, our firm is the principal legal advisor to the Central Bank of Kenya.
Recently, we have been involved in:
- Advised a leading private bank in Kenya in the purchase of shares worth USD 92, 000 from a target company that provides insurance financing products.
- Advising a lender on a suitable structure for the upstamping of the existing securities as well as advising the lender on the additional security documentation to secure the lender’s interest.
- Acting in the preparation and perfection of security documentation (debenture, charges, corporate guarantees and the relevant board resolutions) for a Kenyan commercial bank in respect to their lending to a horticultural firm to facilitate acquisition of a horticultural farm worth USD 4 million.
- Representing the Kenyan and Nigerian subsidiaries of a Pan Africa bank in a claim worth USD 52 million arising from a facility of USD 300 million advanced to a Lebanese engineering firm to fund the construction of the Nairobi-Mombasa oil pipeline.
- Successfully represented a Pan-African bank in a claim of USD 25 million brought by a Zambian borrower who claims he never authorised the bank to disburse funds to the borrower.
For more information about our Banking & Finance practice, please contact George Oraro SC (Founding Partner) or Pamella Ager (Managing Partner). Alternatively click here to download our Banking & Finance profile.