We have represented clients in local and international arbitration tribunals including International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) and the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) in energy, financial services and construction sectors.
Some of our recent experience in this area includes:
- Successfully represented a Pan-African Bank in a USD 25 million claim brought by a Zambian borrower who claims he never authorised the bank to disburse funds to the borrower. It was an ICC administered arbitration and the seat was in London.
- Represented a Canadian-based energy company as co-counsel in the ICSID proceedings brought against the Government of Kenya in respect to the unlawful revocation of the company’s geothermal licence worth USD 312.7 million.
- Advising and representing an international civil engineering company to enforce an international arbitral award of USD 13 million in Kenya issued under an ICC arbitration with its seat in London.
- Advised a major American private equity fund on their legal options and remedies against former directors and shareholders of a leading East African civil engineering and construction company with a view of recovering an arbitral award of USD 23.2 million from the LCIA.
- Representing an English Investment Company and an energy company involved in methane gas production in an arbitration matter where the Claimants brought arbitration proceedings against the Respondent at the ICC for breach of contract. The ICC entered an award in favour of the Claimants in an Arbitral Award of USD 12.8 million rendered on 9th August 2017. The firm was thereafter engaged by the Claimants in having the arbitral award recorded as a judgment of the High Court of Kenya before enforcements proceedings can be commenced against the Respondent, which is a company registered in Kenya.