Our Tax practice area is well known for its comprehensive understanding of the Kenyan tax laws. The practice area is regarded for its expertise in handling both contentious and non-contentious tax matters, developing solutions that are both tax efficient and practical to help our clients maximize opportunities, while minimizing risks.
The practice area provides advice on domestic and international tax, value-added tax, income tax, capital gains tax and transfer pricing. We also advise on the tax implications of mergers and acquisitions and capital markets transactions. In tax disputes, the tax practice is renowned for its creative approach and is forward thinking in tax litigation due to the complexity of Kenyan tax laws.
Some of our notable contentious and non-contentious tax matters include:
- Acting for a Kenyan based company that manufactures branded beer, spirits, and non-alcoholic beverages in an appeal against excise duty and VAT assessment on alcoholic beverages amounting to KES 18 million. We are currently representing our client at the Tax Appeal Tribunal.
- Advised regional company on the tax aspects of their share restructuring and group reorganisations in regard to significant capital investment by global private equity investors.
- Advised a Credit Company with both domestic and foreign presence, operating business in the digital loan industry on transfer pricing, thin capitalization, related party transactions, bad debts and tax deductions.
- Acting for a major real property leasing company in seeking to compel the KRA to make an objection decision with respect to the Company’s objection to KES 14 million tax demands allegedly arising out of inconsistent VAT entries on the Company’s iTax Portal.
- Representing a leading beverage bottling company in an Excise Duty dispute amounting to USD 5,611,025 at the Tax Appeals Tribunal.