Our Asset Tracing & Recoveries practice area is a recognised leader in advising both contentious and noncontentious complex tracing and recovery of assets and in restructuring & insolvencies. The practice area is led by a team of Partners with specialist know-how and deep experience in offering strategies for obtaining effective and time-critical legal remedies to secure and recover assets, including freezing injunctions, disclosure orders and protection of assets.
With a good reputation in handling complex banking disputes, debt recovery and asset tracing, the practice area has represented clients in various courts in the land including the High Court, Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court. Our Asset Tracing & Recoveries practice closely with a broad range of stakeholders including banks, financial intermediaries, distressed companies, creditors, private equity sponsors, and governments. As a full service law firm, the practice area is able to call upon lawyers from a wide range of related specialist areas including tax, employment and labour, banking & finance and restructuring & insolvency.
Our recent experience includes:
- Acting for the monetary authority of Kenya in the recovery of funds in the “Goldenberg” related cases, in excess of USD 1 billion.
- Representing a Kenya government corporation as lead counsel. We obtained a mareva injunction/freezing order, which is currently in force to preserve the subject matter of the suit. This is a recovery action as well as the tracing of assets worth USD 70 million from individuals and companies alleged to have defrauded a commercial Bank in Kenya, leading up to its receivership.
- Representing an accused person for actions done while executing duties when acting as a senior official in the Government of Kenya (GoK). The accused was charged with abuse of office and conspiring to defraud the GoK. The saga has come to be known as the Anglo-leasing saga.
- Advising an Insurance Company on its potential claim of approximately KES 1.1 billion for impaired assets against three insolvent companies, where it invested in notes and commercial paper.
- Acting for a Kenyan Insurance Company in a domestic arbitration seeking the recovery of approximately USD 770,000 being outstanding premiums claimed by the Insurer against the Judiciary of Kenya under a Group Medical Insurance Cover.
For more information about our Asset Tracing & Recoveries practice, please contact George Oraro SC (Senior Partner) or Noella Lubano (Partner). Alternatively, click here to download our Asset Tracing & Recoveries.