With wide commercial-scale discoveries on oil and minerals in Kenya, the energy sector has expanded rapidly. Large-scale infrastructure projects have solidified the sector with an eye to boost domestic and foreign export.
Working closely with the Infrastructure, Projects & PPP practice area, we are at the forefront of providing our clients with legal advice in a complex regulatory environment.
We have advised governments, energy companies, independent power producers, project sponsors and lenders on:
- Advising on PPP projects
- Capital markets
- Commercial structuring
- Drafting of contracts
- Project financing
- Regulatory review
Our recent experience includes:
- Acting in a claim seeking the tracing and recovery of approximately USD 340 million which was fraudulently siphoned from a Kenyan bank (It is one of the largest banking fraud disputes in Kenya). We successfully defended the client against claim by the shareholders seeking to be enjoined in this suit, against stiff competition
- Part of a team that provided the Strategic Investors of a bank (the Bank) with an opinion on the legal options or recourse that they may have under contract or in tort against various third parties that were involved in the unlawful and fraudulent actions that lead to a run on the Bank which caused it to be placed under receivership by the Central Bank of Kenya
- Advised and acted for the Deposit Protection Fund Board(now known as the Kenya Deposit Insurance Corporation), relating to recovery of debts owed to several collapsed financial institutions
- Assisted a team drafting asset finance documents for Africa Export-Import Bank on the USD 2 billion pre-delivery and delivery financing for Kenya Airways Limited
- Part of a team that is representing a multinational bank in a representative action challenging the levying of increased bank charge
- Testing the safety net in banking: Is deposit insurance adequate?
Click here to download our Banking & Finance brochure.