Georgina is a Partner at Oraro & Company Advocates in the dispute resolution practice group. With over 10 years’ experience, Georgina has represented and advised local and international clients on a wide range of intricate employment & labour disputes particularly in relation to terminations, redundancies and collective bargaining in which she is highly regarded. She also advises on commercial litigation and family law.
Georgina recently advised a leading private hospital in Kenya in a claim filed by the employee’s union - Kenya Union of Domestic, Hotels, Educational Institutions, Hospitals and Allied Workers (KUDHEIHA) (one of Kenya’s oldest trade unions with a presence in almost all of Kenya’s 47 counties seeking to prevent the institution from proceeding with a redundancy process affecting up to 500 staff. She has also advised BIDCO Africa Limited on their employee restructuring process.
Leading global legal directories consistently recognise Georgina as a leading employment lawyer. In Chambers & Partners Global Guide 2021, Georgina is highly recognised in the Employment category. She is commended for her “excellent grasp of employment matters,” with clients noting that “she seeks to fully understand a situation and what the client hopes to achieve before offering her input.” She was also ranked as a Next Generation Partner by Legal 500 during its 2020 rankings and recognised as an ‘employment specialist’.
Georgina has a double concentration in Bachelor of Commerce in Economics & a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from the Nelson Mandela University, South Africa and a post-graduate diploma from the Kenya School of Law.
“she seeks to fully understand a situation and what the client hopes to achieve before offering her input.”
Chambers Global, 2021.
- Part of the team acting for an insurer against a claim arising from the 2007 post-election violence in Kenya, with a claim for damages within an exclusion clause under the policy against liability for civil commotion and riot.
- Part of the team acting in a commercial arbitration before the International Criminal Court (ICC).
- Representing a bank against a claim of approximately USD 200,000 for constructive dismissal and discrimination.
- Representing Nairobi’s top five-star luxury hotel in two employment claims revolving around claims of unfair termination and fraud allegations against the employees. We also advised the hotel on its internal HR policies and contracts.
- Represented one of Kenya’s leading mortgage finance providers in Kenya against a former manager in an employment claim on grounds of unfair termination. We are also seeking an order restraining any publication of the matter (a gagging order) which had been widely reported.
- Advising on a scheme of distribution or re-organisation of assets in a large estate under probate and administration proceedings.
- Represented foreign beneficiaries in a local probate and administration matter involving a large estate in regard to protecting the assets in the estate pending hearing and determination of the matter.