Gibran is a Senior Associate in the dispute resolution practice group. With over 7 years’ experience, he has advised local and international clients in administrative and constitutional law, judicial review, banking and commercial litigation, and environmental litigation but has taken a keen interest in Islamic finance.
Gibran was recently part of a team that advised a leading telecommunication pension scheme in a judicial review application has been filed to quash a judgment by the Retirement Benefits Tribunal for unpaid retirement dues of USD 70 million. He also acted for a Kenyan solar technology firm in a judicial review application under the Fair Administrative Actions Act, 2013 against the Kenya Revenue Authority.
Gibran holds a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from the University of London and a post-graduate diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law.
“Gibran has over 7 years’ experience advising local and international clients in dispute resolution ."
- Successfully argued a complex constitutional petition against the Director of Immigration and Foreign Nationals Management Service on the issue of the legal rights of a stateless individual under the Constitution and the Immigration and Foreign Nationals Management Act, (2014).
- Prepared a research paper for a former Kenyan minister (in the Ministry of Justice and Constitutional Affairs) on among other things, the provision of abortions (one of the hotly debated topics at the time) as per the draft constitution ahead of Kenya’s landmark 2010 referendum.
- Acting for Dyer & Blair Investment Bank in a suit in which a customer alleges that the Bank failed to act in accordance with his instructions, with respect to a sale order on shares that he had purchased.
- Engaged in a suit and application for interim injunctive relief in regard to a building contract for a hotel and resort valued at USD10 million. Obtained injunctive orders against an internationally registered Company on behalf of our client, Continental Homes Limited, a reputed building contractor based in Malindi and handled the arbitration proceedings in the matter where an award of USD 4 million was awarded.
- Successfully defended a private in an appeal for review on the Jurisprudential question of retrospectively of a declaration of unconstitutionality in respect to provisions of the Employment Act.