The practice area provides advice on domestic and international tax, value-added tax, income tax, capital gains tax and transfer pricing. We also advise on the tax implications of mergers and acquisitions and capital markets transactions. In tax disputes, the tax practice is renowned for its creative approach and is forward thinking in tax litigation due to the complexity of Kenyan tax laws.
Some of our notable contentious and non-contentious tax matters include:
- Acting for a Kenyan based company that manufactures branded beer, spirits, and non-alcoholic beverages in an appeal against excise duty and VAT assessment on alcoholic beverages amounting to KES 18 million. We are currently representing our client at the Tax Appeal Tribunal.
- Advised regional company on the tax aspects of their share restructuring and group reorganisations in regard to significant capital investment by global private equity investors.
- Advised a Credit Company with both domestic and foreign presence, operating business in the digital loan industry on transfer pricing, thin capitalization, related party transactions, bad debts and tax deductions.
- Acting for a major real property leasing company in seeking to compel the KRA to make an objection decision with respect to the Company’s objection to KES 14 million tax demands allegedly arising out of inconsistent VAT entries on the Company’s iTax Portal.
- Representing a leading beverage bottling company in an Excise Duty dispute amounting to USD 5,611,025 at the Tax Appeals Tribunal.
Appealing Tax Appeals Tribunal Determinations at the High Court: Commissioner of Investigations and Enforcement v Grain Bulk Handlers Limited
Tax Appeals Tribunal Rules Apple Concentrate is not a Beverage: Kenya Breweries Limited v Commissioner of Customs & Border Control
The Finance Act, 2021 – Breakdown and Analysis
The High Court Suspends the Newly Introduced Minimum Tax
High Court Confirms Sony Holdings’ KES. 6.4 Billion Commercial Building Allowance Award: The Commissioner of Domestic Taxes vs. Sony Holdings Limited  eKLR
Filing of Digital Service Tax (DST) Return
Understanding Digital Service Tax and its Implementation in Kenya
The VAT (Electronic Tax Invoices) Regulations, 2020 & The VAT (Digital Market Place Supply) Regulations, 2020 in a Nutshell
New Changes Introduced by the Tax Laws (Amendment) Act, 2020
‘Tax-Acious’: When Tax Collection Becomes Rather Taxing
Banking & Finance, Corporate & Commercial, Dispute Resolution
For more information about our Arbitration practice, please contact George Oraro SC (Founding Partner) or Lilian Renee Omondi (Partner). Alternatively click here to download our Tax profile.