Wanjala Opwora is an associate in the Litigation department and specializes in tax, company, insolvency, banking and general commercial contracts matters.
Wanjala is part of a team representing a major Kenyan petroleum marketing company in a suit at the High Court with respect to the demand for KES 61 million being Excise Duty on Jet A1 fuel charged by the Kenya Revenue Authority.
Wanjala holds a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from the University of Nairobi and a post-graduate diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law.
“Wanjala specialises in Tax and Commercial Litigation.”
- Part of a team acting for a major brewery company in Kenya in a dispute involving the classification of cider concentrate by the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) under the East African Community Customs Management Act and the World Customs Organisation’s Harmonised Classification system.
- Part of a team acting in an appeal at the Tax Appeals Tribunal against the decision of KRA where KRA was demanding from a company dealing with importation and supply of home appliances Import Duty in amounts of KES 24 million for goods imported and supplied to Kenya Defence Forces.
- Part of a team representing a client at the Court of Appeal appealing against the decision of the High Court with respect to the failure by KRA to honour and uphold its private ruling as to the commercial building allowances dues on behalf of a major commercial and real estate letting company.
- Part of a team acting for an international flower transportation company in an appeal to the Court of the Appeal from a Judicial Review Decision with respect to a VAT refund claim for KES 186 million being tax remitted to the KRA .
- Part of a team acting for a leading electronics company in Kenya both at the Tax Appeals Tribunal and at the Court of Appeal in a claim of tax overpayment refund of up-to KES 35 million.
- Part of a team defending an international bank in a suit arising out of a loan facility agreement for financing an airplane company valued at USD 6 million at the High Court.
- Part of a team representing a major Kenyan petroleum marketing company in a suit at the High Court with respect to the demand for KES 61 million being Excise Duty on Jet A1 fuel by KRA.