Manufacturing & Industrials
Industrialisation remains a top priority for Kenya despite unclear regulatory framework and the planning of special economic zones (SEZ). But a growing middle-class and regional demand offer significant opportunities for new private investment in the long-term.
- Our lawyers understand deeply the challenges as well as the opportunities to provide legal advice in key areas such as:
- Banking & Finance;
- Commercial disputes;
- Corporate & Commercial;
- Mergers & Acquisitions;
- Real estate & conveyancing;
- Tax disputes
- Acting for various manufacturing and industrial clients, we have:
- Advising a leading manufacturer on assessments by Kenya Revenue Authority of KES 24 billion in respect of excise duty, VAT, penalties and interest before the Tax Appeals Tribunal.
- Acting for a Kenya-based holding company that manufactures both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages in numerous appeals against excise duty and value added tax assessment on alcoholic beverages at the Tax Appeals Tribunal.
- Represented Bidco Africa, in an appeal against an Income Tax assessment at the High Court.
- Represented East African Breweries Limited in regard to disputes arising from transportation and distribution agreements.
- Advising a construction company in relation to the financing of a new cement plant which also involved reviewing the financing agreements and EPC contracts.
- Acted in the winding-up proceedings of Rai Plywoods Ltd.
- Advised a leading investment bank in a proposed takeover of a major international player in the machinery industry in Kenya.
- Represented East African Breweries Limited in challenging the constitutionality of various provisions of the Alcoholic Drinks and Control Act, on aspects relating to the infringement of the right to property.
- Advising the Government of Kenya (while acting in consortium with a local firm) on the privatisation of Mumias Sugar Company Limited, the leading sugar producing company in Kenya.