We regularly advise on a wide range of tax matters including domestic and international tax, value-added tax ( VAT), income tax, capital gains tax (CGT), transfer pricing and tax litigation. We also advise on the tax implications of mergers and acquisitions and capital markets transactions.
Some of our notable contentious and non-contentious tax matters include:
- Acting for a Kenyan-based holding company that manufactures branded beer, spirits, and non-alcoholic beverages in an appeal against excise duty and value-added tax assessment on alcoholic beverages. ( Ongoing)
- Representing a regional international school in an appeal at the High Court on an income tax dispute. ( Ongoing)
- Representing a leading Kenyan supermarket chain in a tax appeal before the High Court in regards to which the taxman raised a withholding tax claim in regards to a loyalty card claim. ( Ongoing)
- Representing a gaming and lottery company in a tax dispute at the Tax Appeal Tribunal. ( Ongoing)
- Represented the Kenya Revenue Authority in a judicial review matter in which the applicant, a leading tobacco company was challenging a demand for payment of excise duty of KES 248 million. ( Ongoing)
- Successfully represented Vivo Energy in a challenge against Kenya Revenue Authority's tax assessments by alleged gains obtained from one sale of economic rights in trademarks to its UK parent company where the said trademarks were previously licensed to a local company for use royalty free. ( 2016)