Our lawyers understand the pressures faced by educational and training organisations and have specialist knowledge to advise on:
- Administrative/judicial review
- Dispute resolution & litigation
- Employment advisory
- Providing legal opinions
- Review of contracts and charters
- Tax dispute
Recent matters we have worked on include:
- Providing several legal opinions to the Kenya National Union of Teachers (KNUT) regarding amendments to the law, touching on the teachers’ employer – the Teachers Services Commission (TSC).
- Representing KNUT in a historic 2015 pay rise dispute against the teachers’ employer, the TSC.
- Acting for one of KNUT in a trade dispute against the employer, the TSC, with respect to the historical 2015/2016 nationwide teachers’ strike.
- Represented KNUT in litigation arising out of their 1997 pay deal agreement with the TSC.
- Advising KNUT in the run-up to the promulgation of the 2010 Kenya Constitution, on matters touching on creation of the TSC, as one of the independent commissions, created under the Constitution.
- Advising KNUT on “emergent” devolution issues, under the 2010 Constitution, and particularly on how these issues relate to their recognition agreement with the TSC.
- Representing Moi University (the second University to be established in Kenya), in a suit challenging the decision by the Council of Legal Education to close its School of Law.
- Advising a regional international school, on Kenyan-related tax matters.
- Represented a regional international school, in an income tax dispute at Tax Appeals Tribunal.
- Advising and reviewing the draft charter of a private university seeking accreditation in regard to compliance with the newly enacted Universities Act 2013.