Chacha is a Senior Partner at Oraro & Company Advocates and practices in the dispute resolution practice group. With over 34 years of experience, he has represented local and international clients in commercial disputes, constitutional law, electoral disputes, employment and labour law, insolvency, and property law.
Chacha has been ranked by leading international legal directories such Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 as a leading lawyer in dispute resolution and employment. In the Chambers Global Guide 2021 rankings, Chacha received a plethora of praise from the Kenyan legal community with market observers regarding him as “an extremely able advocate and a gentleman in all manner of the word.”
Chacha was also recognised as the overall lawyer of the year in 2019 at the Nairobi Legal Awards, hosted by the Law Society of Kenya, Nairobi branch.
Chacha holds a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from the University of Nairobi, Kenya and a Diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law. In addition to being an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya, Chacha is a member of the London Court of International Arbitration Users’ Councils, a Commissioner for Oaths and Notary Public.
Aside from his legal practice, Chacha is an adjunct lecturer at the Strathmore Law School. He has chaired two adhoc committees of the Law Society of Kenya namely, the Committee for In-house Counsel and the development of a comprehensive Code of Conduct for Advocates. He has also served in various capacities in the Political Parties Disputes Tribunal and the Council of Legal Education.
Chacha is a passionate philanthropist and is currently a honary member of the Rotary Club of Milimani as well as a Paul Harris Fellow. He previously served as a founding trustee of the Matibabu Foundation and Msaada Kenya Trust.
- Advising the Kenyan government corporation in the negotiations and recovery of depositor’s money from a debtor with an estimated value of USD 20 million.
- Acted for various commercial banks including Barclays Bank of Kenya, Central Bank of Kenya, Diamond Trust Bank, Housing Finance Company of Kenya, National Bank, Standard Chartered Bank.
- Providing legal advice to an international non-governmental organisation on the alleged unfair termination of contracts of employees on fixed-term contracts that were coming to an end.
- Representing an International Research Institute in a suit by three self-help groups claiming adverse possession over their land worth USD 44 million.
- Representing a leading commercial bank against three separate class action claims in the Employment and Labour Relations Court for the recalculation of terminal benefits arising from voluntary early retirement worth USD 8 million.
- Representing a leading consumer goods company against a class action claim of over 300 employees who were terminated following a staff organisation.