John is a Partner at Oraro & Company Advocates and practices in the dispute resolution practice group. He specialises in arbitration and dispute resolution. With over 10 years of experience, John has represented and advised local and international clients in constitutional law, banking and commercial disputes, employment and labour law, but is well regarded for advising employee associations and trade unions.
Aside from his legal practice, John is the Editor in Chief of the firm’s newsletter Legal & Kenyan which has published 8 issues to date. John holds a has a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from the University of Warwick, United Kingdom and a Diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law.
"John is well regarded for his expertise in advising employee associations and trade unions."
- Represented the Kenya Electricity Generating Company (KenGen) in a constitutional case involving the competing fundamental rights and freedoms under the Bill of Rights, particularly the freedom of expression, the right to access to information, the freedom of the media and the right to privacy. (Ongoing)
- Part of a team acting for the County Assemblies Forum challenging a decision of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) to call for the 2017 general elections (2017)Part of a team representing Emerging Capital Partners (EACP) in an anti-suit injunction application where the parties are not a party to shareholders and management agreement. (Ongoing)
- Representing Housing Finance Company Ltd (HFC) in a class action suit concerning the legality of the interest rate and penalty charges charged by HFC on its customers’ mortgage accounts. (Ongoing)
- Represented CBK in a case in which the petitioner sought to stop the largely popular transfer of money services provided by mobile telephone companies including Safaricom’s “M-Pesa” and “Airtel Money”. (Ongoing)
- Part of a team Represented Kenya National Union of Teachers (KNUT) in a historic 2015 pay rise dispute against the teachers’ employer, the Teachers Services Commission. (2017)