Jacob is a Partner at Oraro & Company Advocates in the corporate & commercial practice group. With over 12 years’ experience, he has advised both local and international corporates on commercial contracts, corporate advisory, corporate restructuring mergers & acquisition, privatisations and infrastructure projects.
Jacob was part of a team that advised in a complex debt to equity restructuring of Kenya Airways Plc that aimed to reposition the National carrier for long-term growth and business sustainability. He also acted for a leading commercial bank in the financing of the first road construction projects under the Road Annuity Program of the Ngong-Kiserian-Isinya and Kajiado-Imaroro Roads.
Chambers Global ranked Jacob, in its 2021 Guide, as one of the leading lawyers in Corporate/M&A in Kenya. Chambers noted that he is well regarded in the space by peers, who comment, “[Jacob is] thorough in his thinking and extremely detailed in his output”.
Jacob holds a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from the University of Nairobi and a post-graduate diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law.
- Part of a team that advised Citigroup Global Markets Limited in its capacity as the underwriter and book runner for the offering of a total of 1,477,169,549 new shares by Kenya Airways Plc (KQ) in funding the pre-delivery payments to aircraft manufacturers in connection with the acquisition of 9 Boeing Dreamliner aircrafts and 10 Embraer aircrafts to finance KQ’s capital expenditure requirements.
- Part of a team that advised the Government (through the office of the Attorney General) on the legal implications of the most complex debt and equity restructuring of Kenya Airways Plc.
- Advising for a leading investment and real estate company in the acquisition of 40% stake a in a private Kenyan company that provides serviced office solutions for a potential investment of USD 2.5 million into the company.
- Part of a team that advised Accion International, Velocity Capital and Progression Capital Africa Limited in a multi-jurisdictional due diligence and report in connection to the proposed acquisition of approximately 20% stake in the Cellulant Corporation.
- Acting for a lender in relation to the financing of road construction of the Ngong-Kiserian-Isinya Road and Kajiado-Imaroro Road. These are the first road construction projects that are to be undertaken under the Road Annuity Regulations.
- Part of a team that advised in the government-to-government collaboration between the Government of Kenya and a major national oil and gas corporation on a proposed USD 1.8 million project to develop up to 350 MW of geothermal power.